Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Momma = short order cook, v-day card creator, maid, chauffeur, laudry mat, personal entertainer...etc., etc.

Hello from the far, far land of "my kids rule my life - so I really don't get to have one right now" land. In this land you are required, as mother and queen of the throne, to do whatever needs to be done (make "required" homemade v-day cards for school events (2 hrs people!), clean puke up in the middle of the night, examine and cheer for pee pee and poo poo in the toilet) with a smile, song, and dance. Literally. We need music here! However if the radio is on, "Mommy no sing. Mommy! NO SING! NO SING!!"

In this land, your iPhone is not your iPhone, your iPad is not your iPad - it is the children's. In this land, kids routinely and one at a time, try to sneak into bed with you at all hours of the night and if you are asleep try to talk, play, pull your hair, and touch your closed eyelids to get them to open. When you open your eyes, most likely you will hear, "Hi Mommy, you sleepin?" If you lock the door to your bedroom they stand outside and pull/shake the door until screaming, "Open! Open! Open!" Sufficiently waking the other child up as well.

In this land every night at dinner you bribe children to eat their vegetables. Eating vegetables has now turned into a full production of having to cheer for each pea, each kernel, each floret placed in the mouth. Also, making sure the vegetables get all the way down into their stomachs instead of into the toilet when someone says, "I go pee pee" right in the middle of eating a veggie.

As I sit here writing this with the dishwasher humming in the background, realizing I need to start the washer running, and my work computer beckoning me to do just a few more emails, I wonder about this "my kids rule my life - so I really don't get to have one right now" land. What would I do if I wasn't queen? I would have much nicer clothes, pedicures and manicures, a cleaner house and toned muscles (yes - I would LOVE to be able to go to the gym more!). But I also wouldn't be the magical boo-boo healer (I mean it doesn't matter what hurts after I kiss it! So cute.). I wouldn't have the mommy dance, or be the mommy tickle-monster and hide-n-seek mommy (they hide in the same spot together every time).  I would be me but not me. They have made me better, stronger, able to do more with less, able to shine bright on even the worst and most stressful situations because I am super-mommy in this land.

But digress, I am tired and run-out tonight but writing this out makes me feel happier and better! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Erin your loss to your family must be devastating. However you have left your mark on your family and this planet. Rest in Peace and God Bless - from a co-worker at Leidos who has been touched by your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see Erin writing this even now. Such a bright and fun person. May her family find peace in this stressful time and remember the joy Erin brought to everyone. A Leidos co-worker.

    ReplyDelete